[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Thomas Corte Thomas.Corte at knipp.de
Wed Jan 27 18:16:49 UTC 2016

Hello,

On 27/01/2016 18:49, Greg Aaron wrote:

> Four problems with #4:
> A) The current registrar and the current registrant are not the only parties
> with an interest in a domain's expiration date.  For example, other people
> may want that domain when it expires.  Gaining registrars like to see the
> expiration date when processing inbound transfers.

Most registries allow (as they should) the inquiry of non-sponsored
domains via EPP, so registrars should have better ways to obtain that
information. As for other interested parties (such as domain grabbers),
I'm not sure how justifiable their interest might be.

> B) A domain's expiration date can be gotten via EPP <info> command.  No
> reason to show expiration date in a <info> command but not in WHOIS.

There are other things not shown in Whois that can be obtained via EPP,
such as a domain's authinfo, creator registrar, or contact disclosure
settings. In my point of view it' only a problem if the Whois displays
*more* information than is available via EPP.

> C) Some registrants use WHOIS to understand their domains.

Unfortunately, most use WHOIS to misunderstand them.

> D) The registry has to store the expiration date no matter what.  So no
> reason not to display it in WHOIS?

The discussion is about whether this is potentially confusing information
that should be suppressed.

/Thomas

--
TANGO REGISTRY SERVICES®
Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH                    Thomas Corte
D-44227 Dortmund                      E-Mail: Thomas.Corte at knipp.de
Germany