[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Wed Jan 27 18:49:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:49:57PM -0500, Greg Aaron wrote:
> B) A domain's expiration date can be gotten via EPP <info> command.  No
> reason to show expiration date in a <info> command but not in WHOIS.

I disagree strongly with this claim.  An EPP client is normally an
authenticated client with a pre-existing arrangement with the operator
of the repository.  There is some reason to suppose in that case that
the client is operated by someone who understands the nature of the
repository with which it is interacting.

Even in that apparently far-off future happy state where we've finally
ditched whois, we'll still have an unauthenticated mode of RDS
operation, and we'll therefore have queries from clients that may well
not understand the distinction between the registry data and data
about the registrant-registrar relationship.  It is our failure to
provide a clear distinction so far in the kinds of data we return from
RDS that has made this problematic.  If we can find a way to make that
distinction clear, then I'm all in favour of ways for passing the info
around.  But until we make these things clear to users, more data just
adds more confusion.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn