[gtld-tech] [regext] EPDP recommendations and EPP

Roger D Carney rcarney at godaddy.com
Fri Mar 1 17:20:02 UTC 2019

Good Morning,

Thanks for the comments Patrick.

Agreed, another one of the concerns going with placeholders is that to some, it will lessen the urgency to solve the underlying issue.

Not speaking specifically to the examples you gave on multiple mechanisms, I still believe that adding an additional contact mapping will increase implementation complexity that is not needed, more below.

As far as tailoring the protocol, it seems to me that the current RFC 5733 has been tailored. I am not sure why 5733 required these fields to exist in the first place, I assume it was discussed when it was written many years ago and it was decided for some reason these fields be treated special, but I don't see a technical reason to treat them differently. I don't think the idea of making the EPP Contact Mapping more flexible is a gTLD specific solution.

Thanks for digging deeper into what it takes to "improve" the current mechanism. As Gavin mentioned in his original email, this would require a new RFC be created and you have provided some more logistics to that effort. As you mention, there may be clients that may need to support both namespaces, but for servers that choose to use the new namespace the interface on both sides would be less complex than having two mapping mechanisms. Servers could have the option of supporting the namespace that is appropriate for them (though I assume for gTLDs ICANN would update policy to use the new namespace).

Thanks
Roger