[gtld-tech] CZDS Support for Request Cancellation

Joe Wein joewein at surbl.org
Sat Apr 30 05:14:45 UTC 2022

> The team has informed that existing complaints that are already in
> progress
> with the Registry Operators would remain active when the request is
> cancelled,
> as long as a subsequent request is submitted immediately with the Registry
> Operator, without the need to submit a new complaint to ICANN Contractual
> Compliance by the requestor.

Typically I would cancel a ZFA request if it hasn't been actioned for
several months AND a previous complaint did not resolve the issue.

If complaints remain active when a request gets canceled and resubmitted, it
means no new complaint can be filed if the resubmitted request is not
processed either. It will automatically be rejected as a duplicate by the
system.

The only way to complain then is to do a follow-up on the ticket number of
the original complaint (pre-cancel) but that will be hard to do when the
ICANN complaint acknowledgement mails don't disclose which ticket number
relates to what TLD. The rejection message for "duplicate" complaints does
not mention the ticket number of the original complaint either.

> Furthermore, ICANN Contractual Compliance sends an additional manual
> confirmation once the complaint is being initiated with the contracted
> party
> and the TLD should be included in the manual confirmations.

That's correct, but in the case of my first complaint about .citadel, the
manual confirmation you mention arrived *4 months* after the complaint
submission. I am sure you would agree that's unacceptably long.

Is it much better now? Checking my records, a few complaints I submitted on
April 3 have only generated the initial ticket number mail ("A new case has
been created...") so far but no manual confirmation yet that would link the
ticket number and the TLD as you describe. That suggests that some submitted
tickets may be sitting there for weeks before ICANN sends them to the
contracted parties.

Joe Wein
SURBL

> Best regards,