[gtld-tech] Svelte CZDS zone files?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Sep 14 03:48:40 UTC 2022

On Sep 13, 2022, at 7:20 PM, John R Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
>> Using the DNS protocol does seem traditional here.
> Contracted TLDs provided password-protected FTP downloads of compressed master zone files starting at least two decades ago.

Sure, because that’s what Verisign (Netsol) offered, not because it was a particularly good idea or well thought out.

> CZDS is a putatively better replacement for FTP that avoids every TLD having to manage credentials for every client.

CZDS as a credential management system would appear to be independent of how the data access authorized by those credentials is performed.

> A few of the TLDs added in the first rounds still use FTP, including .aero and .post.

Yes, a protocol not even the IETF uses any more and which support in browsers is pretty much gone.

> If you want more background, just ask.

If it’s relevant, perhaps.

Ah well, enough windmill tilting: having some familiarity with these things and no particular dog in this fight anymore, I’ll just go make popcorn.

Regards,
-drc