[ICANN Academy WG] Reality, Realism, and Responsiveness -- a few of the three Rs that we must consider + Accountability

sandra hoferichter info at hoferichter.eu
Wed Aug 29 13:17:42 UTC 2012

Dear Marilyn,

thank you for your thoughts. I will just reply to some of them, because many
things have been said by others already.

I agree with previous speaker, that modern communication tools can never
replace F2F meetings. E-learning, if it is well organised (the DIPLO model
is definitely one), is a valuable instrument to raise awareness, get people
involved globally on an entry level. To set up an online course on an
advanced level has the same challenges, I would say even more, than a F2F
meeting. For example: a global, holistic online-course will take about 2
weeks, instead of a compromised 2-3 day course.

On the entry (or contributor) level a lot of e-learning material exists
already within ICANN. The WG focused on a training programme for the
leadership level, F2F because it is time effective and the networking aspect
is of great value. The aim was helping break down the silos. All this has
been discussed in the past among the At-large WG, but now that we are
working in an expanded WG we must reconsider and discuss all option.

However in a modular system - I am referring now to pyramid - advanced
e-learning and F2F, or a combination of both is not contradictory. You can
add and improve modules as per need and learn from it. Such an inclusive
model should be the long term aim for this WG.

“Is this introduction, intro-doctrination,
”

Definitely not! The term “indoctrination” was used by some members in this
list and I have difficulties to understand where this comes from. Sending
out the curriculum to the WG for comments should prove the opposite. We
experienced a confusing meeting  in Prague, questioning who is responsible
and in charge of what. Whilst presenting a draft curriculum I was hoping we
can focus now on the content and agree on a curriculum for Toronto.

As for now, following the discussion on the list and the doodle, I see only
a minimum chance that we have a pilot in Toronto and I agree here with you
that the questions:  “Why: Who: What: When: AND WHAT NOT to do: what to co
exist with, etc.” should be further discussed and we should build consensus
on these questions.

A final decision must be taken after closing the doodle tomorrow 30.Aug.
24:00 UTC and then we can check the options for a (additional?) meeting in
Toronto. The official WG meeting is already scheduled for Wednesday, 17
October between 11:00-12:30. This time will be not enough to discus all
matters, but a conference call or email exchange can help to prepare the
meeting.

Let’s prove the options once we have a final decision

Best Sandra