[ICANN Academy WG] Pilot leadership training in Toronto - decision on the dates

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:29:58 UTC 2012

Thanks, Alain.

To me, 'leaders' at ICANN encompasses a wide range of different 'types'. And that can range from those who are active participants to someone who is appointed, or elected to a specified role. I would not limit capacity building/skills enhancement/orientation to only a narrow group of 'leaders', as you know from my earlier comments.
But to respond to your specific question:  For instance, it is up to the SOs and ACs how they 'select' their leaders, whether they appoint, or elect.
Board members are mixed in selection mechanism - 6 are elected via processes determined by their selecting organization -- the three SOs -- ASO, ccNSO, GNSO -- two per SO. The Nominating Committee appoints 8 Board members in a process established by the ICANN bylaws.
Hence my reference to elected or appointed.