[ICANN Academy WG] Re : Feedback on Draft_Curriculum_Initial_Proposal_20120203.doc

Raquel Gatto raquel.gatto at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 20:52:59 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I believe there is a great curriculum in progress!

Unfortunately I could not attend the last call, so forgive me if I am
raising some topics that have been already discussed.

Regarding #6 - Core topics at Day 1, does "Internet Fundamentals" also
means Internet Governance Ecossystem?
I am aware that this is an ICANN focused group, but it would be good to
have a short overview of all related governance mechanisms (and if
possible, their interface with ICANN). For example, if you are talking
about DNS, at some point you might need to mention IETF and RFCs and so the
"student" that does not have a previous knowledge about those issues will
get lost in content. It doesn't need to be a deep content approach, because
each student can search for more info as they want.

Multilinguism is always a recurrent issue, but I would go for an
intermediate solution. Of course English is the working language inside
ICANN community, but if the objective is to bring some knowledge for the
students, we need to face those leaders that have basic English and allow
them to find information in their own language. For a low cost solution
that could be incorporated in the first ICANN Academy, we could try to
inform whenever possible the documents and references that have more than
one language. ICANN already have translators working on many documents and
just telling the participants when and where they are available may give
some confort for further reading and encourage them to express their own
views. The evaluation form could also have a question about the language
challenges (and try to measure the impact for non-native English speakers).

Hope I am contributing for the document ellaboration.

[]s Raquel