[ICANN Academy WG] Re : Feedback on Draft_Curriculum_Initial_Proposal_20120203.doc

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 21:05:25 UTC 2012

The scope of the curriculum development at the moment is to develop
curriculum for the ICANN Academy which is 3 days for 15 ICANN officers to
be immersed into the operational system and structure of ICANN. There are
numerous possibilities of curriculum development but what we have to
consider are the priority topics that need to form the Curriculum.

I had raised the language issue in our preparatory discussions. Apparently
ICANN Bylaws state that officers must have a good command of the English
language and it is a prerequisite. My personal view is that this bylaw is
very limiting for an organisation that develops global policies and this
restriction is discriminatory of many whose first 4 languages are not
English.[This however is not for this discussion nor thread and are mere
comments]

On the other hand, in terms of development of curriculum for empowerment of
members of At Large community on issues, I think a combination of both web
based and face to face approach is important.

The web based platforms will give us the luxury of cost savings, learning
whereever you are as communications with the internet has redefined
concepts such as time and space. There are some existing podcasts already
available on the ICANN website and there is  alot of material on the
website that could be put together in some coherent form for "newbies" in a
structured fashion.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT
Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro