[ICANN Academy WG] ICANN Academy - Draft Curriculum

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 13:02:58 UTC 2012

Dear All,

Thanks for sharing the draft, which is very developed and thoughtful to me.
Unfortunately I was not able to at the call at 4:00am. And if the WG calls
were going to be fixed at 20:00 UTC (4:00am for me), I would never be able
to join any call. Neither can anyone from East Asia. Should we consider
some kind of rotating calling slots that we could share the pains?

The current curriculum design is well-structured. My comments are in 3
aspects.

1. High-Level Capacity Building

But given that the audience is new "officers", elected or selected, they
should be equipped with basic knowledge about ICANN. (If some of them are
old timers, should they be "exempted" from training of at least Day 1?) So,
the lectures might not be merely descriptive, but be analytical or even
critical to let the audience be aware of the challenges, threats and
difficulties confronted with ICANN. It's been raised that introduction to
the ICANN components should "dynamically" show their operation, not only
static structure.

2. Interactiveness

It would not be interesting to the participants if 3-day training is
one-way feeding to them. They should be able to question, comment or
debates on the policy or process issues, in their groups and with the
lecturers. It is important to include some kind of exercise, such as "role
playing" or "cross-constituency coordination" etc.

3. Practicality

The training should be as useful to these leaders as well as to the
community as possible. As raised by the others, there should be sort of
"assessment" in the form of final report, blog posts or wiki contribution,
etc. The could be even complete some "real" policy works (issue paper,
request for PDP, comments on the current issues or WG documents).

Hong

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 4:04 AM, sandra hoferichter <info at hoferichter.eu>wrote:

>  Dear all,****
>
> ** **
>
> we announced already, that we have to move on fast creating a curriculum
> for the ICANN Academy.  The Programme committee worked out the draft
> proposal enclosed and invites you now to comment on this. We will discuss
> this curriculum also during the next WG call scheduled for Wednesday, 8 Feb
> 20 UTC, but it would be good to start the discussion in advance.****
>
> ** **
>
> The plan is to agree on the draft curriculum until mid of February,
> because we are planning to offer a webinar to the ICANN community prior to
> the Costa Rica meeting. The webinar should serve as a first introduction of
> the idea to other constituencies, in order to start interacting during the
> Costa Rica meeting.****
>
> ** **
>
> Your comments and feedback is welcome!****
>
> ** **
>
> May I ask Staff to upload this proposal also on the wiki page? ****
>
> ** **
>
> Best Sandra****

Dr. Hong Xue
Professor of Law
Director of Institute for the Internet Policy & Law (IIPL)
Beijing Normal University
http://www.iipl.org.cn/ <http://iipl.org.cn/>
19 Xin Jie Kou Wai Street
Beijing 100875 China