[ICANN Academy WG] ICANN Academy WG meetings in Toronto rescheduled

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Fri Sep 14 06:39:08 UTC 2012

I adopt and re-aver Chuck's words, underlining them.

I was very heartened in particular when the words 'learning goals'
started to be used.

My personal experience perhaps informs my attitude here. I "attended"
law school between 2004-2008.  My law school was distance-learning based
(we had a day of classes once a month).

So the teaching method used was not the Socratic Method, which is
beloved of American law professors, and sentimentalised in The Paper
Chase (and in which the learning goals are to put it mildly, opaque).

Instead, the method was pedagogic, and each section in the manual
started out with words similar to:

"LEARNING GOALS**

At the end of this chapter you will be able to :-

(a)    understand the difference between frobozz and frobnitz

(b)    understand the essential elements of conspiracy to contravene the
Flood Control Dam (Number 3) Security and Stability Act  ("the J.
Flathead Pierpont Act")

(c)    recognise the defences to the inchoate offence of attemping to
steal an amount over 1000 zorkmids"

I finf that the results of a learning goal based approach to education
are spectacular.

And therefore I warmly welcome and support a strategic, top-down design
to the ICANN Academy.  It can only be right that we Do It Right, in
preference to Do It Immediately.

Nigel

(**PS: My apologies to any ancient seekers of treasure in the
Underground Empire.)