[ICANN Academy WG] PILOT - ICANN Leadership Training Programme in Buenos Aires

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Thu Sep 5 10:01:31 UTC 2013

Nigel,

Morning, Thanks for your email, definitely   the norm of  selection will
certainly and  definitely be based on "merit and need" within the context
of the training to be conducted, but its good you put all the parameters
that apply within the EU as this also applies in many places as the WG
moves ahead.

Much Appreciated

Poncelet

On 5 September 2013 09:46, Nigel Roberts <nigel at channelisles.net> wrote:

> Please note for future reference that, if ICANN training were taking place
> in the United Kingdom (as it will next year at the London confernce) doing
> as is suggested in that email would be quite illegal!!
>
> Selection must be on merit and need.
>

> Access to training given in the United Kingdom is specifically covered by
> the Equality Act 2012 which prohibits differential treatment based on a
> "protected characteristic" such as race, gender, age, sexual orientation,
> disability.
>
> From the www.gov.uk website ...
>
> So before adopting well-meant but ultimate illegal procedures, please make
> sure we have taken the appropriate advice.
>
> [Contrary to the apparent belief elsewhere in ICANN (e.g. in relation to
> WHOIS) area, ICANN rules do not override domestic or EU law!]
>

>  Age discrimination
>>
>> The Equality Act 2010 includes provisions that ban age discrimination
>> against adults in the provision of services and public functions. The ban
>> came into force on 1 October 2012 and it is now unlawful to discriminate on
>> the basis of age unless:
>>

>  Exceptions under the Order are:
>>
>>     age-based concessions
>>     age-related holidays
>>     age verification
>>     clubs and associations concessions
>>     financial services
>>     immigration
>>     residential park homes
>>     sport
>>
>> These specific exceptions are in addition to:
>>
>>     general exceptions already allowed by the Act
>>     positive action measures
>>     ‘objective justification’

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240