[ICANN-CSC] July 2023 IANA Naming Function Performance Report

Rick Wilhelm Rwilhelm at PIR.org
Wed Aug 9 11:37:33 UTC 2023

Amy, et al,

Thanks for sending over the report.  This might be a better topic for discussion at the next meeting meting than for the list, but I’ll try to frame it coherently:

Regarding the missed SLA:

>From what I can gather in reading the footnote, it seems that during the execution of the “One request (that) exceeded the technical check threshold of 10 minutes”, operations happened normally (i.e. kicked off normally, experienced no IANA-induced interruptions, etc), and the extra time was spent waiting.

It seems to me that the “technical check (retest)” should be designed with a DNS query timeout value that is sufficiently short such that waiting for the timeout(s) to expire does not cause the SLA to be violated.

I’m not familiar with the exact details of the test design, but I’d point folks to the Base Registry Agreement, Specification 10 (https://itp.cdn.icann.org/en/files/registry-agreements/base-registry-agreement-30-04-2023-en.html) search for “will be considered unanswered” for examples of language that contemplate non-responsive services

Happy to discuss.

Thanks
Rick