[IFR2-team] [Ext] IAB Reply to ICANN's Request for Appointment of Members and Liaisons to the Second IANA Naming Function Review (IFR)

Jennifer Bryce jennifer.bryce at icann.org
Wed May 17 16:28:43 UTC 2023

Dear Mirja,

Thank you for providing this decision within the requested timeline.

Best,
Jennifer
--
Jennifer Bryce
Project Manager, Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO)

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf at kuehlewind.net>
Date: Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 17:15
To: "IFR2-team at icann.org" <IFR2-team at icann.org>, Jennifer Bryce <jennifer.bryce at icann.org>
Cc: The IAB <iab at iab.org>
Subject: [Ext] IAB Reply to ICANN's Request for Appointment of Members and Liaisons to the Second IANA Naming Function Review (IFR)

Dear Jennifer Bryce, dear members of the ICANN org,

Thank you for the invitation to name a liaison to the IANA Naming Functions Review Team (IFRT).

We would like to inform you that the IAB decided to not appoint an optional liaison

inline with the decision from 5 years ago.

As a reference, the IAB back then made the following comment

within https://comments.ianacg.org/pdf/submission/submission72.pdf [urldefense.us]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/urldefense.us/v2/url?u=https-3A__comments.ianacg.org_pdf_submission_submission72.pdf&d=DwMFaQ&c=qzHnJIRvjI6L-clJH8JwLQvf_Iq43fzikf6aoxZgMb8&r=0c5g_jBisMd0Mvrv260WjCsDo_lphr-fsVao5L9S4DI&m=d61eJq7POJMhTofYO3ysY6-RHcBcYogMt8hRLAxkcUEJck2plqzv7gMW7rNiCNdo&s=m99ACIgCg7lKsEiPnAgXwt4zB4cT-VWGXi9XAkWogVQ&e=__;!!PtGJab4!4-zXw-iNLAUrE-VAdSgyUsZKFuCNqHnRfuBX6gF5qi7ZLdLf_HRLhpXuAjUkuohdyByIP0QJbzVFUjmVRss3gDrlTSY$>

which we still fully support:

"However, the IETF continues to be satisfied with the existing

working arrangements with the IANA staff and their delivery of the

protocol parameter functions. We believe these arrangements will remain

as effective as before the transition.

Because the existing MoU and annual SLAs govern the relationship with

ICANN as relates to the IANA functions, we have no current intent to

place IETF representatives on additional committees whose primary duty

is to judge the effectiveness of IANA (or ICANN more generally) for

other IANA functions"

Best regards,
Mirja Kühlewind

IAB chair for the IAB