[IFR2-team] IAB Reply to ICANN's Request for Appointment of Members and Liaisons to the Second IANA Naming Function Review (IFR)

Mirja Kuehlewind ietf at kuehlewind.net
Wed May 17 16:15:01 UTC 2023

Dear Jennifer Bryce, dear members of the ICANN org,

Thank you for the invitation to name a liaison to the IANA Naming Functions Review Team (IFRT).
We would like to inform you that the IAB decided to not appoint an optional liaison
inline with the decision from 5 years ago.

As a reference, the IAB back then made the following comment
within https://comments.ianacg.org/pdf/submission/submission72.pdf <https://urldefense.us/v2/url?u=https-3A__comments.ianacg.org_pdf_submission_submission72.pdf&d=DwMFaQ&c=qzHnJIRvjI6L-clJH8JwLQvf_Iq43fzikf6aoxZgMb8&r=0c5g_jBisMd0Mvrv260WjCsDo_lphr-fsVao5L9S4DI&m=d61eJq7POJMhTofYO3ysY6-RHcBcYogMt8hRLAxkcUEJck2plqzv7gMW7rNiCNdo&s=m99ACIgCg7lKsEiPnAgXwt4zB4cT-VWGXi9XAkWogVQ&e=>
which we still fully support:

"However, the IETF continues to be satisfied with the existing
working arrangements with the IANA staff and their delivery of the
protocol parameter functions. We believe these arrangements will remain
as effective as before the transition.

Because the existing MoU and annual SLAs govern the relationship with
ICANN as relates to the IANA functions, we have no current intent to
place IETF representatives on additional committees whose primary duty
is to judge the effectiveness of IANA (or ICANN more generally) for
other IANA functions"

Best regards,
Mirja Kühlewind
IAB chair for the IAB