[ispcp] ISPCP Draft Comments on US Government ICANN MoU Inquiry

Greg Ruth greg_ruth at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 14 13:35:20 UTC 2006

Mark (et al),
     I like your draft. We might replace "tragic attempt" with
"misguided attempt" - although I can think of other, more juicy
adjectives ;-)
     If we would like to comment on the unsatisfactory informality of
current arrangements with root server operators, may I suggest
something like the following:

The current administration of the DNS root depends on distributed and
redundant operation of the root name servers by a dozen independent
organizations.  Although this system’s performance has been acceptable
to date, it is remarkable that it is based entirely on informal
agreements with the operators.  This threatens to undermine the
credibility of ICANN as a legitimate, responsible custodian of the DNS.
The DNS has become vital to international electronic communication and
commerce and the root is the lynchpin of the entire system.  Surely
more business-like arrangements are called for in order to ensure the
stability and security of the DNS root in the future.  If ICANN is to
convince the international community that it is competent and worthy of
the authority it bears, it must operate in a more professional fashion.

Feel free to change this in any way you like to make it fit into the
document.  Comments?

Greg