[NCAP-Discuss] Privacy preserving query infrastructure (SMCQL)

Eric Osterweil lists at osterweil.net
Wed May 22 15:18:57 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I wanted to bring to the group’s attention some work that I have become aware of, which seems to me to be worth considering for NCAP.  In 2017, a paper was published in VLDB (the very top-tier of large-scale data infrastructure research) about a tool for ``mutually distrustful parties’’ to allow untrusted clients to query and join datasets.  I (personally) found the work to be inspired.  It uses techniques like secure circuits and Oblivious RAM (ORAM) to implement a Secure Multiparty Computation (SMC) extensions/optimizations for SQL-like quires (called SMCQL).  The paper can be found here:
	https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3055334

I have reached out to the authors and begun reaching out to others that I know who work in this area for other references.  Ahead of that, however, I thought I would share early-and-often with the group, here.  I am happy to share any more of my thoughts.

Thanks,

Eric