[NCAP-Discuss] Privacy preserving query infrastructure (SMCQL)

Matt Larson matt.larson at icann.org
Wed May 22 17:29:58 UTC 2019

Eric,

How are you thinking this work applies to NCAP?

Thanks,

Matt

On May 22, 2019, at 11:18 AM, Eric Osterweil <lists at osterweil.net<mailto:lists at osterweil.net>> wrote:

I wanted to bring to the group’s attention some work that I have become aware of, which seems to me to be worth considering for NCAP.  In 2017, a paper was published in VLDB (the very top-tier of large-scale data infrastructure research) about a tool for ``mutually distrustful parties’’ to allow untrusted clients to query and join datasets.  I (personally) found the work to be inspired.  It uses techniques like secure circuits and Oblivious RAM (ORAM) to implement a Secure Multiparty Computation (SMC) extensions/optimizations for SQL-like quires (called SMCQL).  The paper can be found here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dl.acm.org_citation.cfm-3Fid-3D3055334&d=DwIGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=xhCX8vQGcsNMzNMbgIokNle9Mpt6sQ45tM98iwh4H0w&m=3NzPJbEUwAeHXxHyJF9WYbEoPnbkjGDmpB-OQyDj7k8&s=HcSy267oTgllN1J2LCJjMAC2nFTSweg7qlXXJlRnzsM&e=

I have reached out to the authors and begun reaching out to others that I know who work in this area for other references.  Ahead of that, however, I thought I would share early-and-often with the group, here.  I am happy to share any more of my thoughts.