[NCAP-Discuss] Please review the Study 1 proposal

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Wed May 22 19:52:38 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-22 11:00, Matt Larson wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Please review the NCAP Study 1 proposal
> (https://docs.google.com/document/d/15f1Kh2vuY0yF9SelocGrPOguYPXDeFYZ0lTqx3fU_gI/edit)
> before today's call, if possible.
>
> In particular, please note comments from Steve Sheng and me.
>
> Thanks and talk to everyone in a few hours,

Matt,
A little more time to review would have been helpful but regardless, I
think you've got most of items 1.b and 1.c totally backwards.  TO
suggest new registrations of expired domains are in scope of name
collisions surprises me, and that bit flips or other things that may
result in persistent collisions are out of scope seems to ignore the
immense amount of SSAC work that led to this WP.  I think perhaps both
may be out of scope but where you arrived with expired domains being
re-registered as in scope confuses me, can you explain the genesis of
that in any dialog we've had or in the SSAC direction provided?

Thanks,

-danny

Study Tasks
  Finalise the definition of name collision, which is currently:
In scope and subject of data studies
User Alice uses .EXAMPLE in a private context and .EXAMPLE is now
delegated in the public DNS.  User Alice suffers adverse impact as a
result.
Registrant Alice uses EXAMPLE as a label anywhere except as a private
use TLD, and relies on search list processing where the label EXAMPLE is
the terminal label, as an intermediate step in that search list
processing.
(e.g.  User searches for dashboard.example.com by typing in
dashboard.example)
.EXAMPLE is now registered in the public DNS and the search list
processing behaviour of Alice now changes.
In scope but will be addressed with general advice and not subject of
data studies
Registrant Alice uses EXAMPLE.COM (or EXAMPLE.TLD where TLD is any
current TLD in the public DNS) and .EXAMPLE is now registered in the
public DNS.  Registrant Alice now receives multiple queries as a result
of search list processing of users of domains under .EXAMPLE
Registrant Alice uses .EXAMPLE as a TLD in the public DNS and then lets
the registration expire.  Registrant Bob then registers and delegates
.EXAMPLE. Traffic intended for Alice’s use of .EXAMPLE is now received
by Bob’s use of .EXAMPLE
Registrant Alice uses EXAMPLE.COM and then lets the registration expire.
  Registrant Bob then registers and delegates EXAMPLE.COM. Traffic
intended for Alice’s use of EXAMPLE.COM is now received by Bob’s use of
EXAMPLE.COM
Out of scope
Registrant Alice uses .EXAMPLE as a TLD in the public DNS. Registrant
Bob registers and delegates .EHAMPLE as a TLD in the public DNS.  Alice
now receives bit flip traffic intended for Bob and vice versa.
General IDN confusion issues