[NCAP-Discuss] [Ext] Re: Please review the Study 1 proposal

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Wed May 22 20:25:53 UTC 2019

Oh, my.  This triggers a fresh thought about an ancient subject.

Registration of a name that's never been used in any context is "clean."
Registration of a name that's appeared on the public Internet comes with a
history.  That history might be from a previous registration.  It might be
because it was used privately but leaked.  Either way, if a name with
history becomes registered, there will be traffic headed to that name that
was not generated or encouraged by the registrant.  Thinking about this
afresh, one could imagine insisting that a previously registered name
should not be reregistered unless either

o The previous registrant and the new registrant agree, i.e. a transfer

o The background traffic drops to a very low level.

This approach would, of course, kill the whole drop catching business.  I
suspect this is a bridge too far, but the posts did cause me to think along
the line that a previously registered name and an unregistered but leaked
name share the quality that the next registrant will get traffic (s)he did
not generate.  In the case of drop-catched name, this is monetized to the
benefit of the new registrant, but perhaps not to the benefit of the others
in the monetization chain.  In the case of leaked names, we have the
consequences that have led to this study.

Cheers,

Steve