[NCAP-Discuss] Honeypot refresher

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Apr 30 17:53:17 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 11:24 AM Danny McPherson <danny at tcb.net> wrote:

> On 2020-04-30 10:35, Jeff Schmidt via NCAP-Discuss wrote:
> > We are stuck in a Groundhog Day cycle of re-litigation on ancient
> > issues.
>
> I'll defer to Warren on his comments here but there are pros and cons,
> certainly.
>
> Some comments inline.
>
> > Some suggest (repeatedly) that Controlled Interruption was designed
> > the way it was because we don’t like data and honeypots (redirecting
> > colliding lookups to some Internet host controlled by “good guys”)
> > would generate the data panacea we always wanted but never had.
> > Suddenly all of our questions would be answered, toast would never
> > burn, and the coronavirus would be cured.  This is wrong.  Honeypots
> > create significant new risks; we concluded that the risks created by a
> > honeypot approach were worse than the rewards and suggested
> > (Recommendation 12) alternative approaches to gathering more data.
> > This issue was discussed extensively in the JAS Phase 2 report.
>
> Jeff, while I certainly understand the primitives was any actual legal
> analysis done on JAS's conclusion there?  I don't see any citations and
> have always wondered if while intuitive, did this benefit from any legal
> advice?
>
> Further, I am familiar with large scale honeypots, as previously noted,
> e.g.,:
>
> Tracking Global Threats with the Internet Motion Sensor
> https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5ac5/c8dab89963c69198a7597d4a81a7bad980b3.pdf
>
> The Zombie Roundup: Understanding, Detecting, and Disrupting Botnets
> https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/sruti05/tech/full_papers/cooke/cooke.pdf

I didn't open the honey-pot can of worms this time -- I had said that
controlled interruptions did not collect data that would be useful for
evaluating the impact, and next rounds -- I was meaning things like
the number of queries resulting in the CI response; the number of
unique addresses; the number of AS#; the top N names within these;
overlap between these and known discovery tools (e.g: wpad); the
geographical distribution; etc.

But seeing as the can-o-worms has been opened, I will repeat my
argument from last time...

Yes, I'm *sure* ICANN does not want this liability - but, ICANN *not*
taking actions which could have protected people seems like an even
more dangerous decision.
A well designed honeypot will not log the payload, and can be audited
to attest to this - if I'm affected by a collision (e.g:
accounting.foo) and connect to a honeypot, I'd be unhappy - but, at
least I've been informed; can understand what the impact has been; and
more importantly, ICANN has taken action to prevent a much worse
outcome.
If ICANN does not run a honeypot, when the TLD is delegated and an
attacker registers accounting.foo, I have a much much worse outcome
--- ICANN could easily have prevented harm, and I'd think I have much
more reason to sue.

It was clear that people didn't understand what "127.0.53.53" was
supposed to mean, and in many cases would never have seen the address,
or failure - an obvious example of this is mail, where multiple MX
servers will be tried on "failure", but many of the discovery
protocols (like wpad), etc will also fail silently...

So, yes, I'm *sure* ICANN doesn't want liability of running a
webserver saying "If you see this, you have an issue - here is how to
fix it!", but surely there is liability in playing ostrich as well?
And it not legal liability, there sure seems like an ethical
liability... ICANN could run the 127.0.53.53-style CI for N weeks to
catch the "breaking change" stye collisions -- and then, if people are
so sure that this has been effective, either 1: the remainder will be
nonexistent or 2: would have been caught by attackers once
delegated...