[NCAP-Discuss] [Ext] Top-level Domains for Private Internets IETF draft

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Mon Jun 15 18:54:53 UTC 2020

Philippe,

On Jun 15, 2020, at 9:05 AM, philippe.fouquart at orange.com wrote:
> I’d like to echo Jeff’s sentiment – and maybe it’s not too late to have such an exchange.

The draft was recently posted specifically to encourage discussion — that’s what Internet Drafts are for (and I imagine there is a lively debate on the DNSOP mailing list, but haven’t had time to look). I suspect the IETF DNSOP working group was chosen for the publication venue because (a) being technical, that’s the venue the authors were most familiar with, (b) it has been the customary place where DNS technical matters are discussed and thus more likely to engage people who are operationally involved in choosing a top-level domain for internal use, and (c) the process is open to anyone.  The draft is in its early stages: the DNSOP WG may choose not to adopt it, may choose to adopt it but then fail to publish as an RFC, or may publish as an RFC.  It is in no way exclusionary or an attempt to, as Jeff erroneously put it, “circumvent” the multistakeholder process.

> Just a thought, for example, some ISPs may be looking for private namespaces on bandwidth constrained environments where the domain name length can be an issue; the option of 2 character strings known to be harmless may be worthwhile considering.

My understanding is that the point of the draft is that due to ISO-3166/MA designating a set of 2-letter codes as “user assigned”, they won’t be assigned to be countries/territories, and thus, will not be in a position to be delegated in the DNS according to RFC 1591-based processes.  As such, use of those domain names can’t collide with anything ICANN might do regarding new TLDs in the future.

Regards,
-drc