[NCAP-Discuss] Draft Final Proposed Workflow

James Galvin galvin at elistx.com
Wed Dec 8 21:33:08 UTC 2021

An important distinction to make is whether we are using
“delegation” in a technical sense or a business sense.

In a technical sense, you are correct.  A string must be delegated (be
present in the root zone) in order for controlled interruption and
enhanced controlled interruption to work.  And, if there is an issue
created as a result of name collisions then the delegation must be
withdrawn.

This is separate and independent from the business decision of deciding
to delegate a proposed TLD string to a particular registry operator,
which if successful would also require a technical delegation in order
for the string “to work”.

The technical delegation is part of the due diligence process.  There is
no change in predictability to an  applicant as compared to the
application process as a whole.

Since you mention “applicant” in the context of your question I
believe you’re asking about business delegation and that is out of
scope for this working group.

Jim