[NCAP-Discuss] Security and Privacy for public DNS resolvers

Matt Larson matt.larson at icann.org
Wed Feb 9 18:09:05 UTC 2022

Hi, Tom, everyone.

On Feb 9, 2022, at 8:54 AM, Tom Barrett via NCAP-Discuss <ncap-discuss at icann.org<mailto:ncap-discuss at icann.org>> wrote:

interesting report on public DNS resolvers. Data about their growing market share may inform future NCAP studies.

Security and Privacy for public DNS Resolvers — ENISA (europa.eu) [enisa.europa.eu]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.enisa.europa.eu/publications/security-and-privacy-for-public-dns-resolvers__;!!PtGJab4!poSB0Ljzs4nbo3j3JI-I6Meko01REyu936c12YZwcfzBqrerV4ZiLlNnxfIJMgDEdy0Gku4$>

Thanks for the pointer. As it happens, the situation with public resolver use is more subtle than the report would lead one to think. Alain Durand in OCTO is researching this topic just now. We'll have an icann.org<http://icann.org> blog post out soon--next week at this rate--which will probably be followed by a more technical paper in the OCTO document series (https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/octo-publications-2019-05-24-en) since there are so many interesting findings.

Matt