[NCAP-Discuss] Reflecting on the 'big picture' and making our outputs helpful to the Community

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Wed Feb 16 20:13:00 UTC 2022

> Having participated actively in Sub Pro, I am not surprised by the approach
> you have both taken in your comments, though they do seem to be a bit “late-breaking”
> in terms of the process the DG has been following.

Not sure what you mean here. I have been saying the same things via-a-vis collisions since the beginning of this DG and years prior. I was not a part of SubPro.

Moreover, why is a honeypot slipping back in when it (correctly) died in 2020?
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ncap-discuss/2020-April/000312.html

I would characterize it as “late-breaking” that this fatally flawed idea has been re-inserted under a different name.

> Reports of name collision issues to ICANN based on the 2012 round and the “lack of litigation”
> in this realm is not a reliable measure for answering the issues raised by NCAP Study 1 or the
> Board’s specific questions to the SSAC on this topic.

Why not? Why should we discard a decade of operational experience in favor of suggesting complex, risky, and unproven new things? What is the resistance to recognizing that 2012 didn’t go badly from a collisions perspective and making surgical improvements from there?

The reality of collisions is that we need to be aware of the possibility of Unicorns. We have found 4 (corp, home, mail, and cs -- kinda) so far in the history of the Internet, and today there are 1590 TLDs in the root. We must be aware of and equipped to encounter another Unicorn but not perpetuate the sensationalist trap that every string is a ticking timebomb. Critically, we should not suggest procedures that are based on the fallacy that every string is a ticking timebomb when all history, research, and experience over the past 25 years – without exception – postulate otherwise.

Jeff