[NCAP-Discuss] Enhanced Controlled Interruption and Predictability

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Tue Feb 22 18:58:03 UTC 2022

All,

Purposefully, I am going to ignore all of the legal, policy and business reasons to do (or not do) Enhanced Controlled Interruption.  The question I have is whether ECI violates the GNSO Unanimous Consensus Policy that all processed and procedures surrounding the introduction of new gTLDs be predictable.

Lets suppose we do Enhanced Controlled Interruption and there is a whole lot of data collected by some Honeypot operator.  Then what?  The Honeypot Operator (HPO) attempts to contact those that have misconfigured servers or whatever.  But what then?  Who makes the decision to allow (or not allow) the delegation of the TLD to the Registry Operator to continue so that it can launch the TLD?  What criteria is used by the decision maker to either allow or not allow the next steps to go forward?  Does this just create more uncertainty by another decision maker inserted into the process to decide if and when the next steps of the launch can proceed?   How does that enhance predictability in the process?

I understand that this is a "technical group", but the Board needs to be told explicitly that we are only recommending what we as the technical group think should happen, but that the policy needs to be developed to determine whether the benefits of this new technical approach are outweighed by the other policy aspects of implementing the next rounds of new TLDs.

I hope that makes sense.

[cid:image001.png at 01D827F4.364CB590]
Jeffrey J. Neuman
Founder & CEO