[NCAP-Discuss] Enhanced Controlled Interruption and Predictability

James Galvin galvin at elistx.com
Tue Feb 22 19:46:14 UTC 2022

Excellent questions, Jeff.  Speaking personally, I think your questions
fit in that space between purely technical and purely legal. policy, and
business.

I would say we are obligated to inform the Board with our best advice on
how to interpret the data showing the existence of name collisions and
then how to review mitigation and remediation plans.  So we have to say
something about your questions, beyond just listing them.

I don’t think we’re going to be able to propose a solution that is
100% predictable though.  I’d be delighted to be educated differently.

Other folks should certainly offer their own ideas for how to answer
your questions.  Here are some ideas from me for folks to consider.

1. ECI is conducted, data is collected (details still to be defined),
and data is made available to Applicant and Technical Review Team.

2. Applicant develops either or both a mitigation plan or remediation
plan.

3. Technical Review Team develops summary of what the collected data
means, the Applicant plan(s), and a technical indication of the extent
to which the plan(s) address the aforementioned issues.  Think of this
as technical due diligence in much the same way that Staff effectuate
due diligence on the rest of the application.

4. The Board reviews the original application, its due diligence report
from ICANN staff, the plan(s) from the Applicant, and the independent
review conducted by the Technical Review Team to decide whether or not
to delegate the TLD to the Applicant.

What are the benefits of our approach?

Data will be collected about the existence of name collisions for each
proposed application, each Applicant will have the opportunity to
address what the data shows, and then the Board will be able to make a
decision about the Application.  These three steps had an extremely
limited presence in the 2012 round.  In particular, although most TLDs
were granted, we have three that are still officially “deferred”,
since we didn’t have a means to properly evaluate them.

We are developing a proposal to do just that.

Alternate points of view and proposals are most welcome!

Jim