[NCAP-Discuss] Enhanced Controlled Interruption and Predictability

Thomas, Matthew mthomas at verisign.com
Fri Feb 25 01:13:04 UTC 2022

All,

It feels that this discussion has started to muddle name collisions directly with harm and completely remove the intermediary and critical component of _risk.  The Board questions were constructed to provide them with a better understanding of the _risk of a delegating a string based on name collision telemetry. Based on data, they can make a quantitative judgement as to their risk appetite of delegating a string. I don’t think anyone on the DG is saying that all name collisions queries are potentially harmful; however, it is well established that various classes of name collision queries seen via the DNS present documented threat vectors that can be weaponized and can be potentially harmful.  That being said – the other collision queries may or may not pose _risk.

"I don’t think it is accurate to say that mitigation may impose more costs on all parties than the harm" (which would have been presented as _risk before delegation) caused in the first place is an accurate statement.  We’ve seen in the NCAP DG calls how numerous collision strings were remediated by basic CDM analysis and basic outreach efforts. To your point of making a predictable path forward for the Board – I think we are all in alignment with that objective; however, we need to be very careful not to conflate risk and harm.  These are two very different concepts that the Board will want to understand, and we need to convey clearly.

Matt