[NCAP-Discuss] Reminder - Please review the Data Sensitivity Study

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Mon Jan 10 16:06:02 UTC 2022

Hi Tom,

The problem has always been guessing what the future will look like. Regardless of how much a certain string (for example) is analysed, there will always be unknown unknowns that pop up. SSAC have already described this a number of times, and because of this I feel we have to think of two different things here, but first, lets talk about what we mean by "delegation".

In the context of name collisions we are using this in the DNS sense. Do not mix this up by overloading this with the business sense, i.e., the string has been allocated to the applicant. All of the NCAP work is pre-allocation. This is critical to understand.

Second, it’s not about recursive resolver data. It’s about a full picture of the data from the infrastructure. Over the past decade one change that has happened in the infrastructure is the presence of recursive resolver. So, our critical result is that we need data at the root servers to see a full picture because this one change has shown that changes to the infrastructure change the data picture. We don’t know what changes might come about in the future. We can certainly speak more about the ones we know about today, but we don’t know what we don’t know.

Third, yes, privacy and legal concerns exist today. These are additional factors on top of the technical one that will be challenging to resolve, if at all. Useful to note but not material to the technical decision at hand.

At the same time, the only thing we can do is to do an analysis based on data at hand, that give ok/nok before allocation. A different thing is to ensure there are enough data collection, safe guards, and what not (both technical and legal/contractual) so that if unknown things happens, actions can still be taken.

Remember Donald Rumsfeld that said:

> There are known knowns. There are things we know we know.
>
> We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know.
>
> But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

   Patrik