[NCAP-Discuss] Comparison of Proposed Alerting and Data Collection Techniques

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Wed Nov 9 15:09:35 UTC 2022

Hia – I was referring to the technical conversation on the dns-operations list circa this past spring where both standards compliant and non-standards-compliant technical approaches were being debated. There are plusses and minuses. The NCAP document and Casey’s document don’t contain sufficient detail to determine the exact implementation variety currently being promoted (or if they do I missed it).

It sounds like the current thinking is a properly formatted empty zone with COTS authoritative server software (no server modification changes required) hosting a proper and complete empty zone. The root delegation would be typical. I think there would be a change in behavior wrt NXD vs NODATA in some narrow cases, but yeah it seems that would be standards compliant. If you could post the template of the actual zone you’re proposing be hosted that would be illustrative.

Jeff