[NCAP-Discuss] Comparison of Proposed Alerting and Data Collection Techniques

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Wed Nov 9 15:45:24 UTC 2022

> On Nov 9, 2022, at 8:09 AM, Jeff Schmidt <jschmidt at jasadvisors.com> wrote:
>
> The NCAP document and Casey’s document don’t contain sufficient detail to determine the exact implementation variety currently being promoted (or if they do I missed it).

It's implied in this text:

"With passive collision assessment, only negative responses are returned from authoritative servers (Phase 1).  Therefore, applications are not expected to behave differently for the user.  One possible exception to this is the case where applications querying for the TLD itself expect an NXDOMAIN (rather than a NODATA) and behave differently because of it.  We do not know of any such applications, but we note the possibility for completeness."

But I get that it's a little buried in the doc.  That is in part because *primary* purpose of the comparison doc was to *compare*.  It sort of evolved to do some *defining* as well--particularly as I found things undefined or unequally defined in the larger study 2 report.  But it never fully took on that role, so I can see where there is some ambiguity.

Casey