[NCAP-Discuss] Defining CI/CE

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Wed Nov 9 22:47:49 UTC 2022

I wasn't clear in my note.

There is a discussion to be had for both TCP and UDP on this. Do we optimize for the "fast fail" by sending RST and Unreachables respectively, or do we emulate likely current behavior (i.e. "(maybe) cause less damage") by dropping with no response (except for the few ports we do respond on)? Open question.

Funny thing is that our decision here will have an impact on the metrics collected. Most things (I'm thinking about the Microsoft stuff I'm unfortunately very familiar with) retry... some aggressively. So the speed and modality of failure will impact the metrics.

Implementation details matter.

Thx,
Jeff