[NCAP-Discuss] Defining and Naming Methodologies

Thomas, Matthew mthomas at verisign.com
Wed Aug 9 18:50:18 UTC 2023

Casey,

Thank you for the summary here.  I think the key part of your message to get the group forward was near the end so I’ll just put it again below.  I’d like the folks interested in different ideas/perspectives/concerns/etc around these 4/5 steps to see if we can reach some form of consensus.  I think largely the group seems to be in alignment but the wording and terminology starts to get muddled.

So folks – please please please – if you have something to say about these steps, get it out on the DG mailing list here and we can start teeing things up for next week’s call.

>Casey previous email
Okay, so now what?  Passive collision assessment and active collision assessment are definitely ambiguous - shown most recently in last week's (Aug 2, 2023) meeting.  We need precise terms.  For example (I'm not expecting these to stick, per se):

1. Delegation of minimal TLD zone or Delegation of apex-only TLD zone.
2. Resolution to loopback using special IP address in 127/8.
3. Transport-layer rejection at publicly available IP address.
4. Application-layer interception at publicly available IP address.
5. Eliciting DNS lookups using ads embedded in Web browsers

Now, I'm not suggesting that the technical details of these are all spelled out with these more succinct names.  In fact, some will argue that there's more confusion.  I'm not suggesting that these are popular, but it's clear that terms that we've coined and used in the past have been misunderstood and/or changed over time.  At this point, understanding what we're dealing with is more important than making them easy to say or even market.

The way I have understood things is: #1 is passive collision assessment, #2 is controlled interruption, and #3 is reject-all (and maybe what was referred to as "minimal honeypot" las week?).  Active collision assessment is a combination of #4 (for ports 80, 443, and others where interception was proposed) and #3 (for all other ports).  And, of course, #5 is the ad-based measurements using, which I believe is proposed to happen in the environment specified by #1.
< End of Casey Email

Thanks everyone.

Matt