[NCAP-Discuss] NCAP notes: 22 February 2023

James Galvin galvin at elistx.com
Wed Mar 1 18:41:37 UTC 2023

These notes do not capture an important point that I made during the
meeting.

These notes say:

Finding E.a: Controlled Interruption is not effective for user
notification: Casey believes this is a misrepresentation and noted the
root cause analysis data supports his statement on this.

The notes do not capture the point I made:

This finding is an accurate reflection supported by the Root Cause
Analysis research.

It would seem that Casey and I are drawing different conclusions from
the report.  However, in partial support of my support for the Study 2
Finding I submit the following Root Cause Analysis Finding (page 47):

Controlled interruption is effective at disruption, but not at root
cause identification.

Controlled interruption has shown to be good at disruption, but not at
helping affected users identify the cause of the problem—at least not
in the way that was intended.  Evidences. Of the survey respondents that
indicated that they used of TLDs, 70% reported having experienced
technical issues related to their suffix.  Of those, 43% experienced the
problems within days of delegation of the TLD.  Over two-thirds (71%) of
organizations experiencing technical problems  indicated that they knew
that the issues were related to TLD delegation before the problem was
resolved.  It appears that most of the ineffectiveness was due to the
controlled interruption IP address not even being observed, which
occurred in 71% of cases, according to the survey.  However, when the
controlled interruption IP address was observed, the success rate in
identifying ICANN and controlled interruption as the cause was between
50% and 76%, according to the survey results and the Web search results
analysis, respectively.

I also made the point during the meeting that it seemed to me the issue
being debated was simply the wording of the Study 2 Finding, not its
factual assertion.  I said then and I’m repeating now that I welcome
suggestions for how to restate the Study 2 Finding.

Thanks,

Jim