[NCAP-Discuss] "Do Not Apply"

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Tue Sep 12 17:23:23 UTC 2023

I did not realize that Study 2 was split into 2 separate documents. In the second doc, I see:

> Finding B.c: It is impractical to create a do-not-apply list of strings in advance of new requests for delegation

Which directly answers my question below.

--
However, I also noticed:

> 5.5 Recommendation 5 - ICANN must support the delegation of strings in order to improve the ability to conduct a name collision risk assessment

Noting this is a "must" and we have not addressed the IANA/root size issue (at all) is a problem.

This would also put us in direct conflict with SubPro:

Recommendation 26.2: ICANN must honor and review the principle of conservatism when adding new gTLDs to the root zone.

Recommendation 26.3: ICANN must focus on the rate of change for the root zone over smaller periods of time (e.g., monthly) rather than the total number of delegated strings for a given calendar year.

Implementation Guidance 26.4: The number of TLDs delegated in the root zone should not increase by more than approximately 5 percent per month, with the understanding that there may be minor variations from time-to-time.

Jeff