[Npoc-discuss] Klaus Stoll, Election Statement Vice-Chair NPOC

Klaus Stoll klaus.stoll at gkpfoundation.org
Mon Jun 1 08:21:15 UTC 2015

Dear NPOC members

Please find below my elections statement for the NPOC Vice-Chair
position for your kind consideration. I am urging all members to
participate in the election even if they do not plan to vote for me.
Every vote cast is important in the wider context of Internet Governance.

Yours

Klaus

*Klaus Stoll, Election Statement Vice-Chair NPOC*

I am honored to accept the nomination as Vice Chair for NPOC in the
constituency elections and ask for your vote. In the following I would
like to quickly give you some of the reasons why I think that I am a
suitable candidate for this position.

Being engaged with ICANN for over 10 years now, I have demonstrated my
support of ICANN, through, frequent attendance at ICANN meetings, as
NPOC Executive and GNSO Councilor, and the contributions I have made to
the ongoing discussions.

I have developed a respect and belief in, and passion for ICANN, ever
since my participation in my first public ICANN meeting. To witness the
multi-stakeholder process at work, with all its shortcomings was, and
still is, a revelation for me. The Internet with the DNS at its root is
a common good that we cannot take for granted. We must sustain, improve
and protect it on a daily basis. NPOC's role is doing just this through
representing the operational concerns of the not for profit Internet
users. NPOC is fulfilling its responsibility through outreach, awareness
and capacity building to the many not for profit Internet users and NPOC
is doing this successfully through its ongoing partnership in the
Pathfinder initiative.
The ongoing outreach efforts will result in increased NPOC membership
numbers. In the case that I would be elected,I would see it as one of my
main tasks to establish an NPOC constituency *in-reach***engagement and
capacity building program for existing and new NPOC members. The first
goal here has to be to ensure that the NPOC membership is able and sees
it as relevant for themselves to engaged with the constituency. Now that
NPOC has been established and grown out of infancy, we have to add as a
goal to enable those who have the ability and the will to become new
leaders within NPOC in particular and in the whole Internet ecosystem in
general. This means a conscious effort of the NPOC Executive Committee
to train and enable new leaders in particular leaders that are coming
from developing regions and those sectors that are usually under
represented.

In addition,I am very much concerned about the observable and ever
increasing disconnect between ICANN staff and the stakeholders and even
more the disconnect between the different stakeholder groups and even
inside them. The solution to this problem, in my opinion, is more than
about fashioning clear and stricter rules; it is about creating a new
atmosphere of trust and collaboration. I see it as my task to help
rebuilding trust.

In the hope that I deserve your trust.

Yours,

Klaus Stoll