[Npoc-discuss] Sam Lanfranco: Election Statement for Chair of the NPOC Policy Committee

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Mon Jun 1 15:54:56 UTC 2015

NPOC Colleagues,

This is my candidate statement for the position of Chair of the NPOC
Policy Committee.

/Please remember to vote, whether you vote for me or not. Please feel
free to contact me with any Internet ecosystem concerns you and your
organization may have. These issues have been central to my work for
decades, and will continue to be central whether I chair the NPOC policy
committee, or not. /

First some background on the context: The initial drive to create NPOC
was driven primarily by the domain name operational concerns of large
global not-for-profit organizations such as the Red Cross and the
International Olympic Committee. Within ICANN NPOC is part of the
Non-Commercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG), in turn is part of ICANN’s
Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO). This structure has focused
largely on the policy issues agenda set by ICANN. In the past year that
agenda greatly expanded as a result of the US Government decision to
transition oversight of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
to a multistakeholder setting, as well as the need to make ICANN more
transparent and accountable.

Much of the not-for-profit and civil society (NPOC) constituency has
only a low level of interest in the internal work agenda of ICANN. Most
other ICANN constituencies are in one sense or another providers of
Internet related services, or have a mission (e.g. Internet privacy,
security and human rights) central to the Internet itself. Much of the
NPOC constituency consists of organizations whose mission deals with
development, health, poverty, gender, kids, the elderly, the
environment, governance, etc. and not the Internet per. se.. They see
the Internet as a space with opportunities for, and threats to, what
they do.

Building on this context, my past year as Policy Committee chair has
been to go beyond developing NPOC input into ICANN’s policy agenda. It
includes asking what NPOC can do for the Internet ecosystem concerns
that will impact on the ability of NGOs and Civil Society organizations
to pursue their own work. Rather than just asking “What can your
organization do for/in NPOC?”, I am asking “What can/should NPOC do for
your organization?”

With this focus I have been sending “food for thought” early warning
postings to the old and new npoc-discuss lists about Internet
operational issues on the horizon. I support and work with the
Pathfinder initiative that has similar goals. One area is the risks of
organizational dependence on free social media when there are storm
clouds around the terms of access and terms of use on the horizon.
Another is that Internet-based operational challenges are increasingly
below ICANN and at the national level. One growing issue is: What is
NPOC’s role in feeding policy discussion at that level?

Please remember to vote, whether you vote for me or not. Please feel
free to contact me with any Internet ecosystem concerns you and your
organization may have. These issues have been central to my work for
decades, and will continue to be central whether I chair the NPOC policy
committee, or not.

Sam Lanfranco

Email: lanfran at yorku.ca <mailto:lanfran at yorku.ca>sam at lanfranco.net
<mailto:sam at lanfranco.net>