[Npoc-discuss] UPDATE: NCSG comment on the CWG-Stewardship Draft Proposal for the IANA Transition Process

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Wed May 20 14:21:28 UTC 2015

This npoc-discuss posting is an update on constituency input into the
IANA Transition Process:

The NCSG ( NPOC and NCUC members) have completed drafting an NCSG
comment on the CWG-Stewardship 2nd Draft Proposal for the IANA
Transition Process. The NCSG comment can be viewed at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NRSgwIy2T_i8coErf5z3JC0LHoFhjes3K7fWhOxqDZ8/edit?pli=1
and will be submitted to the GWG Stewardship working group at today’s
deadline. The full set of comments and recommendations can be read at
the above link.

The key recommendation from NCSG on the transition of the IANA functions
from the U.S. Government is as follows:

/The NCSG supports the creation of a separate legal entity to house the
names-related IANA functions. We believe that structural separation of
the IANA functions into a legal affiliate has several beneficial
features, which we summarize below.  We do not believe that the CCWG
Accountability enhancements alone can ensure the future independence and
performance of the IANA functions nor guarantee the imperative of
separation between policy-development and the IANA functions into the
future.   Legal and structural separation are key.  Still, many details
about this proposal have yet to be filled in. Given the need for quick
action, we urge the CWG and the broader community to accept a legally
separate affiliate Post Transition IANA (PTI) model as the basis for the
ongoing development of the IANA stewardship transition.

/See the above link for further details./

/

Sam Lanfranco, Chair
NPOC Policy Committee

//