[Npoc-discuss] Important Domain Name topic not to be discussed on NPOC Members Call | 21 May 2015 | 1500 UTC

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Thu May 21 14:32:37 UTC 2015

All,

I want to keep today's NPOC Members call focused on the agreed agenda
and don’t want to spend online call time on this issue now.
So, I am sharing a question I am working up for NPOC to put before the
ICANN board. I will share the final version of the question and evidence
here on npoc-discuss later.

The question is:

/How can ICANN protect the integrity of the ownership of domain names
when a growing number of multilateral treaty organizations have their
own internal intellectual property dispute resolution processes and are
not obliged to respect ICANN’s terms of ownership and dispute resolution
processes?/

The exhibit to illustrate this concern is the recent WTO dispute
resolution panel (one person) who took the ownership of trumpcard.com
(registered in 2009) and gave it to Donald Trump’s companies on the
grounds that Donald Trump, the U.S. serial entrepreneur with gambline
interests, registered "Trumpcard" as a trademark in 2011 – two years
later. The trademark with for a credit card venture. Now trumpcard.com
simply auto directs one’s browser to the creditcard application page.

The English word trumpcard, related to games of chance, has been in use
for 700 years. The domain owner was using the trukmpcard.com site to
direct players to various online gambling sites, and doing nothing
illegal or contrary to ICANN terms ownership. If ICANN has no status in
protecting the legitimate ownership of domain names, ICANN and domain
name owners face a major problem. I am hoping that the ICANN board will
have a comment on this issue.

Sam Lanfranco, Chair
NPOC Policy Committee