[Npoc-discuss] Invitation to participate

Raoul Plommer plommer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:29:39 UTC 2016

> *Name/Organization:*

Raoul Plommer, Electronic Frontier Finland, Open Knowledge Finland

> *ICANN Affiliation (WGs, etc.):*

NCUC as an individual member, NPOC as an organisational member

> *Reason for wanting to attend in person:*

Firstly, I am simply much more effective in person. I also understand other
people and the issues they present better, when discussing issues face to
face.

Secondly, I am really quite intrigued in the way that NCPH does its
business and would like to see first hand, how we negotiate and make
satisfactory compromises with our commercial counterparts. I think this
would be a great learning experience for me and I would definitely be able
to contribute more in to the work, if I was able to join you for the
intersessional meeting.

Thirdly, I was encouraged to apply by the intention to invite new faces to
the meeting and I think I can still be counted as a newbie in ICANN, since
I've been tagging along only since March.

I would also want to discuss the coming NomCom review as well. That surely
fits the "longer-range substantial community issues and collaboration with
Senior ICANN Staff on strategic and operational issues that impact the
community." -specification.

> *Level of participation in NPOC (explain):*

So far, I've hardly participated in the work of NPOC and I feel, that this
would be a good opportunity for NPOC to lure me into working for it. I am
still undecided, on which constituency within NCSG I should be
concentrating on and if I got more exposure on the actual work and
negotiations of NPOC, that might well tilt the balance in NPOC's favor.

> *In addition to the above, attendees would be required to write a blog
> report maximum 2 weeks after the meeting and join an ICANN working
> group/NPOC committee.*

Fair enough - I'll actually try to get into the habit of writing a report
while I'm still at the meeting, so one could expect to get the report in
just a few days time after the meeting.

Sincerely,

Raoul