[Npoc-discuss] Dealing with Not-for-Profit and Civil Society Internet Policy Concerns

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez G. crg at isoc-cr.org
Wed Mar 23 17:28:35 UTC 2016

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your note. It brings me back to our meeting in Marrakech
where you presented your own definition that NPOC role is advisory in
nature, and only at the last moment of comment periods. I couldn´t
agree less. It would make this group rather unattractive to new members
and ineffective as a constituency. It does not serve Rudi`s great effort
in the recent PDPs on Translation and Transliteration either. And the
advantage of having a written exchange is that you can not keep
interrupting me arguing that I don`t understand (you). So here is my
written position on your suggestions:

I can not agree that the NPOC, which is a constituency within the GNSO
council, asumes that we have no time&resources to get involved
throughout the PDPs. This is not consistent with the duties of being
part of the GNSO in my personal view as Councillor. If the whole NPOC
would agree with your position that this should be the case, there is no
role for the NPOC within the NCPH in my view and ICANN resources are not
well allocated. This could be in my view a serious transparency issue,
financing a constituency that by your standards feels it has no moral
duty to participate in the PDP work from the beginning to the end. By
BEGINNING I mean all previous work to the initiation of a PDP, like
CWGs. And by END I mean implementation work of approved policies. The
whole policy cycle.

If the NPOC has become too thin to be a full and active member of the
NCPH, then its “comment period” work on Not-for-Profit and Civil
Society Internet Policy Concerns should be better delegated to ALAC,
which is supposed to be advisory only and well adjusted to the comment
periods. Moreover, ALAC at least guarantees fair geographic
representation which is far from guaranteed in NPOC. As an
organisational member of NPOC, ISOC Costa Rica Chapter wants a clear and
definite discussion of NPOC as a  whole on this issue, because we may
have to consider withdrawing our membership and participation in this
constituency and limit our participation in ICANN as an At Large
Structure only.

At this crucial times of defining Accountability and Transparency
standards for the community as a whole, I want an open and transparent
discussion on your suggestions to be a full member of the Council, but
do only half of the work expected from any other GNSO constituency.

Best regards

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez
Chair
ISOC Costa Rica Chapter