[Npoc-discuss] Dealing with Not-for-Profit and Civil Society Internet Policy Concerns

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Wed Mar 23 18:17:06 UTC 2016

Carlos, I will not belabor the point that you do not understand this at
all. I tried to explain the two pronged strategy to you at the meeting
in Marrakesh and you simply refused to understand it there as well. We
are pressing for greater not-for-profit and civil society organization
engagement in the chartering and PDP processes *AND*, in response to
organizational members whose focus is pressing social issues and not
primarily Internet governance, suggesting an additional initial way to
get involved. I am not pleased by your personal attacks either. They
have no place in a consensus driven governance process. One might
suspect that there is an additional hidden agenda there.

You have made your points here and demonstrated that you miss understand
both the intention and the effort. You go further and make assertions
that are wildly off the mark. I would urge you to consult with your
colleagues on this. I have never made suggestions about being a full
member of the Council, I prefer to spend most of my time in the trenches
working with those who wish to have a stronger voice in the matters that
affect their lives on this fragile planet.

If others have similar concerns to yours I ask them to speak up. For
some reason you are reading one-half of the message and ignoring the
other half. You have made you point. I trust that you will leave it to
others to assess the relative merits of your assertions, and the
relative merits of my efforts, and that both of us will be guided
accordingly by the measured voices of others. If my efforts are
misguided I will stop and step back. I trust that you are committed to
doing the same.

Sam L, NPOC Policy Committee