[Npoc-discuss] Growing our Citizenship in the Internet Ecosystem

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Mon Jan 16 15:24:07 UTC 2017

As an NPOC member this short email is a brief comment on our growing
obligations, as citizens, in the Internet ecosystem:

Earlier this year the OECD released a document on Broadband Policies for
Latin America and the Caribbean. It is an excellent source for
information about broadband polices and socio-economic development. It
should be of particular interest to not-for-profits, social business,
and community groups anywhere in the world. (See link below)

Without exception every organization and individual on the planet is in
some way within the Internet ecosystem. We are a r/esident/ of that
Internet ecosystem within one more more political entities. Depending on
where we live and where we work we are an /Inhabitant/ of some
socio-economic sub-culture within those political entities. In short, we
are all becoming /citizens//of the Internet ecosystem/, and as citizens
we will increasingly both expect the /benefits of //citizenship, /for
who we are and what we do, and be expected to be engaged in
the/obligations of citizenship/. //Those obligations include engagement
in policy making and implementation.
/
/For example, the repeated call for "/The Internet to be Free/" is not
about it being literally a cost-less service. This is a call for it to
remain accessible in ways that are integral to our notions of human
rights and the individual freedom and dignity of individuals as
community members, and as citizens both of our political entities and of
the global Internet ecosystem. There is of course a concern with
"/Access for All/". Within that there are both technological and
economic issues around access, but even there the bigger issue is how we
deploy our citizenship within the various political entities that set
policy for the Internet ecosystem. Even our concerns about privacy and
security are about our individual and human rights, above and beyond
concerns for intellectual property protection, or national security.

Here is a good introduction to the area of broadband policy making, to
help each of use strengthen our roles as /citizens of the Internet
ecosystem/, citizens engaged in the development of the Internet ecosystem.

http://www.oecd.org/publications/broadband-policies-for-latin-america-and-the-caribbean-9789264251823-en.htm

Sam Lanfranco npoc/csih