[Npoc-discuss] Need for Public Comments in the International NGOs in ICANN

Martin Pablo Silva Valent mpsilvavalent at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:10:07 UTC 2017

Dear all,
	As part of engaging in the Policy development process, one of the easy ways to participate is to do a public comment, it can be just a paragraph or a lot of pages. I think this policy is relevant to NPOC and that we should review it as many as possible. In fact, this is the kind of things we should be leading. In this case, I copy underneath the general information about this policy process, you can look further on the link for more info, links and to make your comment:

GNSO Initial Report on the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms Policy Development Process

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/igo-ingo-crp-access-initial-2017-01-20-en <https://www.icann.org/public-comments/igo-ingo-crp-access-initial-2017-01-20-en>

“Section I: Description, Explanation, and Purpose

In June 2014, the GNSO Council approved a resolution to initiate a Policy Development Process (PDP), which was directed to consider the specific needs and circumstances of international governmental organizations (IGOs) and international non-governmental organizations (INGOs): (1) the curative rights protection mechanisms currently in place for both existing and new generic top level domains (gTLDs) should be amended and, if so, in what respects; or (2) a separate, narrowly-tailored dispute resolution procedure modeled on the existing curative rights protection mechanisms should be developed.

In order to arrive at a set of preliminary recommendations and conclusions, the Working Group (WG) analyzed the questions outlined in its Charter, reviewed historical documentation related to the specific topic, reached out to the community for input, as well as sought the input of an international legal expert to provide guidance on relevant legal instruments and applicable international law. The WG did not yet take formal consensus calls on its preliminary recommendations and in fact, presents multiple options for policy recommendation language in one instance.

This Initial Report [PDF, 1.19 MB] is being published for public comment in accordance with the GNSO Operating Procedures. Following analysis of all public comments received, the WG will finalize its recommendations and prepare a Final Report for delivery to the GNSO Council, for its review and action.

Section II: Background

In June of 2014, the GNSO Council initiated the PDP, and the WG commenced its work in August of 2014 through weekly teleconference meetings, discussions on its mailing list, and face-to-face sessions involving the broader community at ICANN Public Meetings. In addition, the WG was selected by the GNSO Council to participate in a pilot face-to-face full-day session assisted by a facilitator, immediately following the ICANN Public Meeting in Singapore in February of 2015.

The WG has developed preliminary recommendations for a number of the charter questions it was tasked to address, which are described in its Initial Report. The Initial Report also contains alternative formulations of policy recommendation text in one instance. Community feedback is therefore sought on the preliminary recommendations, open questions and alternative formulations. The WG will review all public comments received as part of its preparations of its Final Report for delivery to and vote by the GNSO Council.

Section III: Relevant Resources

	• Working Group Initial Report [PDF, 1.19 MB]
	• Working Group Charter [PDF, 603 KB]
	• Working Group Wiki
Section IV: Additional Information

Section V: Reports