[Npoc-discuss] NPOC position on the Intersessional meetings

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Mon Jul 24 14:01:19 UTC 2017

I want to thank Olevie and Remmy for opening up this discussion about
the ICANN Intersessional meetings.

Having attended two ICANN Intersessionals, one at ICANN's expense and
one at my own expense, I am left more with questions than with answers
on the usefulness of the Intersessionals.

First, they are expensive, both in terms of ICANN costs and the costs to
participants. This is particularly true for NPOC/NCSG/NCUC participants
who have to take time away from jobs and other tasks. For others, in the
contracted and non-contracted commercial constituencies, the time and
costs are usually treated as part of their paid time and work. This
imbalance occurs for ICANN meetings as well, and there is no simple cure
for that imbalance. For me that means that intersessionals have to be
evaluated in terms of their efficiency and effectiveness for the
subsequent for work of ICANN, in working groups and subsequent ICANN
conferences. For the NCSG constituencies "is the gain worth the pain?".
What is the evidence of improved efficiency and effectiveness for
subsequent ICANN work? That is the question I have, and at most all I
have heard is personal opinions (by participants) on the usefulness of
the meetings.

Remmy has repeated the oft cited mantra that "this kind of Meeting
creates [a] distinct enabling environment for cross-group or
constituents collaboration.".  That assertion is yet to be tested with
any rigor. I will not belabor this point and only observe that I have
not sensed any improvement in either working group discussions or the
subsequent ICANN meeting discussions on the topics discussed at the
intersessionals. Neither have I seen either a deeper understanding of
the conflicting positions of other constituencies, or evidence of
intersessional fostered compromises being tabled to improve progress in
working groups and at ICANN conferences.

The Intersessionals may be a pleasant, albeit costly, experience for
those who participate, but we need better evidence that they are worth
the effort and expense. I would hope that my assessment in the previous
paragraph is wrong, and based in inadequate evidence, and I am more than
ready to reverse my assessment in the face of evidence. What do the rest
of my NPOC colleagues think about this? What is the evidence?

Sam Lanfranco
NPOC/csih