[Npoc-discuss] Following Due Processes in Committee Positions at NPOC - My Statement

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Thu Jun 28 15:40:46 UTC 2018

Hi Poncelet,

Thank you for the note.  I agree with the points of clarifications made
previously by Tapani.

To reiterate: at the members' session, a number of attendees expressed
interest in participating in the Policy Committee.  The informal list of
committee members was struck only to capture the names and create a list of
participants.  The Policy Chair will of course oversee the formation of the
committee.

Thanks,

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 6:02 AM Poncelet Ileleji <pileleji at ymca.gm> wrote:

> Dear NPOC Members,
>
> Good morning I please wish to write this email on following due processes
> in all we do serving our constituency.  Am writing this in my current
> capacity as Policy Chair for NPOC, which ends next week and am not
> contesting again for that position.  As you all might have noticed I am,
> consisting for the Chair position of NPOC in this our election cycle.
>
> However my point I wish to highlight is the selection and operation of a
> Policy Committee which is coming in place before the election cycle is
> over.  The two candidates for Policy Chair namely Remmy Nweke and David
> Cake, am not certain they were consulted on the creation of a policy
> committee prior to any of them taken up the position if elected as our
> policy chair after the election cycle.
>
> Having spent 22 years of my professional life in an organisation the YMCA
> which has existed globally since 1844 I know the values that due processes
> in board selection and committee selection play, they don’t happen when an
> incumbent term is not over and when a new person to chair a position has
> not been elected infact I do not think it happens in any Not for Profit. As
> a founding member organisation of NPOC I have not seen this happen before
> since our existence as an ICANN Constituency or even in our sister
> constituency NCUC.
>
> Based on the above even though I was informed by our Vice Chair about the
> setup of a policy committee which is required by our charter and I tried to
> reach out to members during my time as policy chair, it’s the process of
> doing it that was not done rightly.  The process must involve the
> incoming chair as he has to work with that committee.  My tenure ends
> next week so I can’t have any input on this; however I feel due process was
> not followed, probably it’s because it’s an election cycle season but I
> leave members to use their own prerogative to judge.
>
> The members of this newly created  NPOC policy committee are not known to
> me, I hardly have seen any of them in any policy meeting of NCSG PC as
> observers, the main attendants of NCSG Policy meetings from NPOC are
> myself, Juan, our councillor Martin and Sam La Franco and in some cases our
> former Chair Klaus.
>
> Based on this fact with all due respect to members of this newly elected
> NPOC Policy committee, who are you?  When have your association with NPOC
> started?  Where is your Statement of Interest (SOI) as required by ICANN
> in serving in any working group?  These are questions pertinent to any
> serious organisation that believes in following due process.
>
> I leave you all to judge if the right processes where followed prior to a
> new chair of Policy coming in?.  Let’s follow proper procedures /
> processes and let those in this new Policy committee explain who they are?
> when did their affiliation start with NPOC?, how long have they known and
> [...]

Joan Kerr,

Entrepreneur, Artist, Humanitarian

T: +1 (416) 907-0783

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

fbsc.org, www.fbsc.eco

Chair: Victory Garden Leadership Implementation Team

Chair, Sustainable Agriculture, Global Humanitarian Technology Conference

Chair: IEEE Smart Villages Project, Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair: ICANN Not for Profit Operational Concerns Constituency

Recipient of the United Nations Civil Society Award (WSIS 2004)

Recipient, Region of Durham Community Partnership Award

Advisor, IEEE Humanitarian Initiatives Committee

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Global
Coordination Unit