[Npoc-discuss] Candidate Statement of Interest for Oreoluwa Lesi

Oreoluwa Somolu Lesi oreoluwa at wtec.org.ng
Wed Jun 5 10:11:35 UTC 2019

Thank you very much, Martin for nominating me and to everyone who
seconded the nomination.

It has been a productive year working as NPOC Secretariat and we have
put a lot of stucture in place and are ready to launch NPOC into a
higher level of membership and policy engagement. I look forward to
being part of this process.

Kindly find my statement below and I look forward to providing
additional information in the candidates call on Thursday.

Best regards,

Ore

***************

*Name:* Oreoluwa Lesi

*Affiliation: *Women's Technology Empowerment Centre - W.TEC

*Position applied for: *Secretariat

*Why you are running for the position?:* I believe that the work that
ICANN does is deeply important and my professional experience and
interests place me in an excellent position to contribute meaningfully
to achieving its goals.

Many nonprofit organisations do not fully understand what ICANN does and
its relevance to their work. This means that they do not have the
opportunity to get involved in shaping policies, which affects them.
NPOC’s role in educating and galvanising nonprofits to greater
participation in internet governance in general and domain name policy,
more specifically, is crucial in maintaining a vibrant community that
includes diverse perspectives and contributions – especially one where
nonprofit concerns are valued as much as those of other stakeholders.

I bring with me deep experience in the nonprofit sector and understand
their concerns, especially as it relates to technology and specifically
Internet-related issues.

I have worked in the nonprofit space for 17years and lead a nonprofit
(the Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre – W.TEC
<https://wtec.org.ng/>), whichworksto build an inclusive technology
ecosystem, with more women technology creators, entrepreneurs and
leaders. I also ensure that women and women-focused nonprofits are
represented on the Internet, own and can manage their domains
effectively, and understand how to address issues like domain name
abuse, cybersecurity and privacy challenges. My work centers on
increasing digital inclusivity in who can use the Internet safely and
effectively to enhance their educational, professional and civic
activities.

This means that I need to stay abreast of the changing domain name and
wider technology policy landscape, especially as related to data
security and privacy issues and their intersections withgender.Through
ICANN, I have had the opportunity to be at the forefront of learning
about the latest domain name systems and related policy and
understanding how theyaffect the communities I work with.

Over the last year, I have servedas NPOC’s Secretariat and together, the
Executive Committee and NPOC community have developed a strategic
outreach plan to recruit new members, developed informational materials
to educate the wider community about what NPOC does (which includes a
booklet, flier and slide deck), rebuilt and launched a more informative
and engaging website, organised well-attended sessions at ICANN64 and
ICANN63, completed the revision of the new Charter document and renewed
its commitment to policy development by successfully submitting a
comment to the dot org registry agreement call for public comments.

Personally, I coordinated the documenting and monitoring of the EC’s
huge workload, helping to keep team members on track with their
respective action items. Iprovidedadministrative support, making
available information about NPOC meetings and action plans to the EC and
NPOC community. Recruitment and engagement of new members is very
important to me and I co-organisedand moderated a panel discussionat the
Digital Rights and Inclusion Forum, a leading African internet
governance forum in April 2019, which alsoservedas outreach for NPOC.

Working as Secretariat has also provided me with a unique overview of
and the opportunity to work across the broader NPOC landscape from
finance to membership, policy, communications and administration. I
believe that this experience will strengthen my ability to coordinate
NPOC’s administrative tasks and provide more support where needed.

In my professional capacity outside of ICANN, I have led and worked as
part of teams and have developed the project management and
collaborative skills that are valuable for working in the Secretariat
role. I am also a member of the Nigerian chapter of ISOC and Alliance
for Affordable Internet, as well asISOC SIG Women. I am also a member of
the Best Practices Forum on Gender and Access of the IGF and have
contributed comments over the last year.

I ama _Vital Voices Lead Fellow_(awarded to emerging and established
women leaders across the world) and an_Ashoka Fellow_(a network of the
world’s leading social entrepreneurs). I speak frequently at Nigerian
and international conferences and other fora on the intersection of
technology and gender. I sit on several boards, including the FAS
Foundation, which builds the capacities of Nigerian engineers and
supports engineering research.

Within ICANN, I am also a member of the African Regional At-Large
Organisation (AFRALO) and NCSG.

You can learn more about me and my work on my:

  *

    LinkedIn profile: _https://bit.ly/2ke8u78_

  *

    Organisation W.TEC’s website: _https://wtec.org.ng
    <https://wtec.org.ng/> _

  *

    ICANN Wiki page: https://icannwiki.org/Oreoluwa_Somolu_Lesi

*Do you have any conflict(s) of interest?:* No

*How many hours per week you are able to dedicate to the position:* At
least 5 hours (As the current Secretariat, some weeks I devote up to 10
hours or more to NPOC work)

*Are you involved in any working Groups or PDP efforts, if so please
state:*

Over the last year, I have been an active contributor to the rewriting
of the NPOC Charter, working with the rest of the Charter Review team at
public meetings and remotely in-between meetings.

I was part of the team that worked on NPOC’s comment to the dot org
registry agreement call for public comments.

Prior to that, I was a mentee on the Community Onboarding programme and
helped to refine the processes to integrate new members to NPOC. I also
participated in an NCSG Policy course Advisory Group, where I
contributed scenarios for the development of a NCSG Policy course.

--
Oreoluwa Lesi - Women's Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC)
Executive Director

+234.803.621.1307, +234.813.339.9999 | www.wtec.org.ng | @wteconline