[Npoc-discuss] Internet Infrastructure and Sea Level Rise: Food/Question for Thought

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Oct 30 02:51:51 UTC 2019

NPOC colleagues,

I am raising this within the NPOC discussion group because I want to get
a sense of whether this is an issue that should be somewhere on the
ICANN agenda. At a minimum ICANN and its communities are constituent
stakeholders in this issue.Most analysis sees serious problems within 15
years.

Much of the Internet’s physical infrastructure is situated in locations
close to coastal shorelines, connected to the half-million miles of
undersea cables. New estimates of sea level rise driven by climate
change have tripled earlier estimates of global vulnerability to
sea-level rise and coastal flooding.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-12808-z
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-12808-z>

The impact of this on human habitation, and human migration, will be
catastrophic. Estimates are that by mid-century up to 340 million people
will live on land below projected annual flood levels. Current estimates
put one billion people now occupying land less than 10 meters above
current high tide lines, including 250 million living below 1 meter
above current high tide lines. These populations will become a migration
tsunami. But that is not the issue I want to raise here.

*The impact of sea level rise on the infrastructure of the Internet
ecosystem will be equally catastrophic and is approaching fast.*Rather
than belaboring the point that some action is necessary here, I will
just share a short bibliography on the subject. *Do we need a discussion?*

Sam Lanfranco*
*

The Internet May Be Underwater in 15 Years:
_https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/07/news-internet-underwater-sea-level-rise/___

Buried Internet infrastructure at risk as sea levels rise:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180716141627.htm
<https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180716141627.htm>

Rising Seas Could Cause Problems for Internet Infrastructure
https://biodiversityfunders.org/rising-seas-could-cause-problems-for-internet-infrastructure/
<https://biodiversityfunders.org/rising-seas-could-cause-problems-for-internet-infrastructure/>

Sea Level Rise to Jeopardize U.S. Internet Infrastructure In 15 Years
https://www.forbes.com/sites/federicoguerrini/2018/08/11/sea-level-rise-to-jeopardise-u-s-internet-infrastructure-in-15-years-study-says/#1fdac65a7cb0
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/federicoguerrini/2018/08/11/sea-level-rise-to-jeopardise-u-s-internet-infrastructure-in-15-years-study-says/%231fdac65a7cb0>

Internet infrastructure will be inundated as sea levels rise:
_https://www.networkworld.com/article/3290250/internet-infrastructure-will-be-inundated-as-sea-levels-rise-says-report.html
_

Key Internet Connections and Locations are at Risk from Rising Seas:
https://www.americanscientist.org/article/key-internet-connections-and-locations-are-at-risk-from-rising-seas
<https://www.americanscientist.org/article/key-internet-connections-and-locations-are-at-risk-from-rising-seas>

The internet is at risk from rising sea levels | World Economic Forum:
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/07/rising-sea-levels-are-coming-for-the-internet
<https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/07/rising-sea-levels-are-coming-for-the-internet>

Rising sea levels are going to mess with the internet, sooner than you
think: https://www.popsci.com/sea-level-rise-internet-infrastructure/
<https://www.popsci.com/sea-level-rise-internet-infrastructure/>