[NPOC-EC] Fwd: [SOAC-Leaders-ICANNMeeting-Planning] ICANN66 High Interest Topic on DNS Abuse - Deadline this Friday 2 August

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Sun Aug 4 04:55:16 UTC 2019

Generally speaking, I am not in favour of DNS Abuse sessions - in the past I have often found they turn into one side of policy debates to present their position without the opposing voice - and since the opposing voices are often NCSG, it can be problematic. That this proposal is being pushed by Steve DelBianco and the GAC PSWG makes me assume that this session is more or less designed for this to occur, or at least is being pushed in that direction by groups outside the Contracted parties.
So I would be very reluctant to favour this one unless we could be assured that someone from NCSG would be on the panel, and it would not be presenting a BC position on these issues without some robust discussion of the importance of privacy in mitigating abuse.

David