[NPOC-EC] Plan for capacity building

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Thu Jan 31 13:47:23 UTC 2019

Hi David, All

There is support for this idea, please let's put this into action and
organize it, starting in Kobe.
Thanks,

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 2:22 PM David Cake <dave at davecake.net> wrote:

>         I’ve been working on a plan for capacity building for the NPOC
> policy committee.
>
>         I would like to propose a plan that rather than focus on specific
> skills, such as submitting comments, we focus on a specific policy issue
> for a few months, and revisiting it a few times over several meetings,
> including discussion at the start of the Kobe meeting, and then discussing
> what has happened around the issue again towards the end of the meeting. We
> can then look at the process of general analysis and advocacy, rather than
> specific sub-skills. At each of several successive meetings we can review
> how the policy process has gone, and then discuss how effective advocacy
> and policy work has taken.
>
>         The issue that I think would be appropriate is the Rights
> Protection Mechanism Review Working Group. This group is at an interesting
> point, it is working in sub-teams, and one of the sub-teams, the Trademark
> Data Review Sub-team, is co-chaired by Martin Silva Valent, who is of
> course both an active NPOC member and an NCSG Councillor. This gives us a
> valuable opportunity to have working group leadership explain the process
> to us, and Martin has indicated he would be enthusiastic. Unfortunately he
> will not be at the Kobe meeting, but we may also take advantage of that
> meeting to have NCSG (or other) colleagues explain some of the historical
> background and active issues.
>
>         I would like to hear PC feedback on this idea.
>
>         David

Joan Kerr,

Entrepreneur, Artist, Humanitarian

T: +1 (416) 907-0783

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

fbsc.org, www.fbsc.eco

Chair: Victory Garden Leadership Implementation Team

Chair, Sustainable Agriculture, Global Humanitarian Technology Conference

Chair: IEEE Smart Villages Project, Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair: ICANN Not for Profit Operational Concerns Constituency

Recipient of the United Nations Civil Society Award (WSIS 2004)

Recipient, Region of Durham Community Partnership Award

Advisor, IEEE Humanitarian Initiatives Committee

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Global
Coordination Unit